It’s not about you and that’s the good news
It’s not about you! That’s good news! You are made by God and for God … until you understand that, life will never make sense. Once you get it, the pressure is off and you are free to enjoy life as it was meant to be.
Something To Talk About:
- You don’t know it all, but God’s got it all figured out: If Scripture tells us that we should not be anxious about anything but in all things by prayer and supplication, we should boldly make our case before the Lord and the peace of God which passes all understanding will keep our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7). Why? Because God has it already figured out. Every day of your life has been written in God’s book before it unfolds over time. God has your situation already figured out. Don’t live in anxiety. Don’t sweat the details of life. Put God’s kingdom first in your thinking and actions and God will bless you with solutions you can never dream of. God has it already figured out. Don’t be afraid, God will help you.
- You aren’t needed, but you’re wanted: If “we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” (Ephesians 2:10) God says, “You’re my masterpiece. I don’t want you copying somebody else. I’ve put gifts in you — heart, abilities, personality, and experiences — and I want you to use them.” We have worth because of what God says about us and what He has done for us. He wants us to truly understand how much He loves us. He wants a relationship with us. Not because He needs it, but because God doesn’t need us. He wants a relationship with us because He loves us and because it is the best thing for us. He created us, He loves us and He knows what we need and don’t need and the only way for Him to reveal that to us is through a right relationship with Him, through His Word and prayer. You are wanted. You have value because God said so and because He paid such a large ransom for your life when He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for you.
- You don’t have what it takes, but God gives you everything you need. Do you realize you have also been given absolutely every tool you need? God has gone before you to provide every single thing. In Matthew 6:8, Jesus tells us this before introducing the Lord’s Prayer: “…Your Father knows what you need before you ask him” (NIV) God sees me. God sees you. He knows the burdens we carry and what we need to sustain us today. Do you need a strategy with your job hunt? God sent His Holy Spirit to guide you. Do you desire to overcome your fear and anxiety? Father has already sent His love so you don’t have to live another day full of fear. Do you need guidance? God gave you His Word to provide you with the wisdom you need. Did you mess up big time? God already forgave all your sins. You have everything you need to run the race that is set before you. You have every tool you need to cross the finish line. God has already gone before you to provide everything you could possibly ever need.
- How do you react when you hear that it is all about God and not about you?
- How does the fact that God has it all figured out affect your daily life? In what ways would you say that God provides? How have you seen this in your life?
- How has God proven that you are wanted in your life?
- What does it look like to take steps of faith with unknown outcomes? How often do we honestly do this? Where can you take a step of faith today, trusting that God is with you? In what ways have you seen God on a personal level in your life?
- Where have you tried to do things on your own? How did that go?
- How do you feel knowing that God is always going to keep His promises? What does that do for your faith in Him?
- Should the size or the depth of the need impact our decision to do something to help and trust God to provide?
- What is your first step toward seeing God’s power multiply in your life?
- Psalm 91 is powerful and reminds us that even in the fiercest storms of difficulty God is always there to guard, strengthen, and protect. How have you found this to be true? Which verse sticks out to you and why?
- What did you hear? What point in this message was most impactful for you?
Take one thing home with you:
When you think about it, the Bible is a story of multiplication. It is amazing to think that God multiplied life through the life, death, and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ. Because of the one life of Jesus, because of the one death of Jesus, because of the one resurrection of Jesus, because of His victory over death, there are literally millions and millions and millions of Christians around the world. All the people who found eternal life did so because Jesus gave His one life. Jesus’ life wasn’t taken from Him. No one could take Jesus’ life. He gave it willingly to save us and purchase us from death.
“The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again. No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.” (John 10:17-18)